Title IX McKinney-Vento - Homeless Education
- The Homeless Education program is authorized under Title VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 USC 11431 etseq.). The McKinney-Vento Act was enacted to address the numerous barriers homeless children face in obtaining a free, appropriate public education.
The program was originally authorized in 1987 and, most recently, reauthorized as Title X, Part C of the Federal No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. The Act ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness including the following:
- The right to immediate enrollment in school, even if lacking paperwork normally required for enrollment.
- The right to attend school in his/her school of origin (if this is requested by the parent and is feasible) or if the school in the attendance area where the family or youth is currently residing.
- The right to receive transportation to his/her school of origin, if this is requested by the parent.
- The right to services comparable to those received by household schoolmates, including transportation and supplemental educational services.
- The right to attend school along with children not experiencing homelessness. Segregation based on a student's status as homeless is strictly prohibited.
- The posting of homeless students' rights in all schools and other places around the community.
McKinney Vento Eligibility & Support Process Resources
Student & Parent Resources
- McKinney-Vento Eligibility & Support Process Overview
- Parents - Helping Your Child Succeed in School
(The following documents are accessible by APS staff members using their APS Google logins.)
McKinney-Vento Educational Rights Posters
- Middle/High School MV Poster - Spanish
- Middle/High School MV Poster - English
- Elementary School MV Poster - Spanish
- Elementary School MV Poster - English
60 Minutes Reports on McKinney-Vento Kids
McKinney Vento Communities By School (MS Excel Format)
- Marcelina Rivera, McKinney-Vento District Liaison - ext. 28944
- Amy Beruan, Title Coordinator- ext. 28474
- Dale Cornelius, McKinney Vento Advocate, P20 Learning Communities P & L- ext. 27421
- Daniel Walendzik, McKinney Vento Advocate, P20 Learning Communities S & E- ext. 27262
- Lori Wolter, McKinney Vento Advocate, P20 Learning Community A & Charter Schools- ext. 27032
- Sherry Hinkle-Carlson, Title I Secretary - ext. 28418
Parents, guardians, and students:
If you are looking for community resources or more information about McKinney-Vento eligibility, please visit our McKinney-Vento Student and Parent Resource Page.