Title IX- Part A McKinney-Vento - Homeless Education
The Homeless Education program is authorized under Title VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 USC 11431 etseq.). The McKinney-Vento Act was enacted to address the numerous barriers homeless children face in obtaining a free, appropriate public education.
The program was originally authorized in 1987 and, most recently, reauthorized as Title X, Part C of the Federal No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. The Act ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness including the following:
- The right to immediate enrollment in school, even if lacking paperwork normally required for enrollment.
- The right to attend school in his/her school of origin (if this is requested by the parent and is feasible) or if the school in the attendance area where the family or youth is currently residing.
- The right to receive transportation to his/her school of origin, if this is requested by the parent.
- The right to services comparable to those received by household schoolmates, including transportation and supplemental educational services.
- The right to attend school along with children not experiencing homelessness. Segregation based on a student's status as homeless is strictly prohibited.
- The posting of homeless students' rights in all schools and other places around the community.
CDE McKinney Vento Overview: https://www.emaze.com/@ATROIIZL/mv-overview
60 Minutes Reports on McKinney Vento Kids: Hard Times Generation Video
Denver Post Trying to Live, Trying to Learn Series- http://extras.denverpost.com/homelessstudents/index.html
Colorado Department of Education
Parents, guardians, and students:
If you are looking for community resources or more information about McKinney-Vento eligibility, please contact the McKinney Vento Advocate assigned to support your P20 Learning Community (listed under Site Based McKinney Vento Advocates).
- What You Need to Know to Help Your Child in School - http://nche.ed.gov/downloads/parentbrochure_eng.pf
- Lo Que Necesita Saber Para Ayudar a Su Hijo en la Escuela - http://nche.ed.gov/downloads/parentbrochure_sp.pdf
- Supporting the Education of Unaccompanied Homeless Students - http://nche.ed.gov/downloads/briefs/youth.pdf
(The following documents are accessible by APS staff members using their APS Google logins.)
McKinney-Vento Educational Rights Posters
- Middle/High School MV Poster - Spanish
- Middle/High School MV Poster - English
- Elementary School MV Poster - Spanish
- Elementary School MV Poster - English
District Personnel: 303-326-2000 (extension)
- Amy Beruan, Federal Programs, Director - ext. 28474
- Sherry Hinkle-Carlson, Federal Programs, Assistant to the Director - ext. 28418
- TBD, McKinney-Vento District Liaison - ext. TBD